Thursday, March 17, 2011

KENYA

Well it is going to be very tough for me to describe this trip. Very tough. I hadn't really thought about it ahead of time because I was so focused on seeing my MOM that I couldn't think about anything else. But I will try to give the trip some justice:
   We were staying in Samburu National Reserve. We stayed in a small "camp" that had 6 tents. Compared to the other lodges around, this is VERY small. We were one of 4 guests for the first few days, and for the last few we were by ourselves! It was really nice to have something so personal. The camp was great, but obviously the REAL highlight were the animals. Everyday we went out in the car and drove to look for different animals. We ended up seeing 25 different types! We also saw all 5 of the species that are only found in that part of Kenya AND we saw all 3 types of cats (leopard, cheetah, lion).
   It definitely felt like a much needed vacation and it was so so nice to catch up with my mom. In order to not bore, I will write our Top 5 Favorite Moments:
  5. Monkeys! They were everywhere at camp and we watched them every morning over breakfast.
  4. Meeting the owners, Oria and Ian. They started the camp (Elephant Watch) to be together with an Elephant research center that Ian works at. They have done some amazing things and we were very lucky to spend some time with them.
  3. Elephants! First, being so close to a HUGE male that we could touch him (terrifying but so cool) and watching them at the waterhole. They're so interesting!
  2. Lions! We got within 3 feet of lions. And then we saw them mating, twice! It was pretty amazing. I felt like I was watching a documentary, but I was close enough to touch the animals...
 1. We saw something that NOBODY at the camp had ever seen before: a badger eating a tortoise. It was over a few days that we saw the attack and the actual eating and it was pretty amazing. Our guide googled this behavior and he couldn't find any research on it! So, we might have seen something groundbreaking...

Alright, so there is the quick summary of my Kenya trip. I will hopefully post some pictures soon onto Facebook. Now, my mom is in Ethiopia until Saturday and she's going to the feeding center with me! I'm really excited to show her around :) Yesterday she met the kids! Amazing to have her here

No comments:

Post a Comment