Sunday, February 27, 2011

End of Second Month Reflections

Well since I wrote a blog marking the end of my first month here, I
thought I would do the same for the end of my second month. February
has FLOWN by. It really feels like just last week the new volunteers
arrived. At the same time, I feel like I’ve known them forever. Isn’t
it weird how that happens? So here are my thoughts about February.
  First, it is VERY different with girls around. When I told my family
I was excited, they asked if it was specifically because there would
be new girls or just new people. It is definitely because there are
new girls. I feel like I have shared my feelings and really talked
about some important things a lot more this month. Not that boys can’t
do this, just that the Peters were much more reserved about most
things. I think Peter has been getting a bit overwhelmed with the
girly stuff, but he’s been a good sport. Last Saturday he walked in on
Julie and Lisa doing their makeup (I, of course, was not
participating… having girls around has reminded me that my girly side
is not very prominent), and he looked at what was happening and
literally turned around and walked out. In general though, he seems to
be doing quite well. Along with the talking and emotional outlets, we
also got our hair braided and have been shopping quite a bit more.
  Second realization: 2 months would not have felt long enough for me.
Part of me feels like I’ve been here forever, but I really want to
make sure I give everything I can, and I think another month will help
me to do that. Unfortunately, I will be saying goodbye to Julie very
soon. I think she’s really sad that she has to leave and she has
expressed that she wishes she had signed up for more than a month.
But, alas, the real world awaits. We aren’t expecting any new
volunteers for March so it will be the Lisas and Peter! I’m very happy
with these volunteers and we get along great, so I’m not sad.
   Third realization: African lice is different that American lice.
Yep, you heard me. This week I was sitting in class when a student
pulled a bug out of my hair, about the size of a small ant. Gross! I
quickly went and showered during the lunch break. But right after I
found several more in my hair and on my hairbrush. They were pretty
big, so I ruled out lice. But I decided to take it to a worker in the
home and she immediately identified it as the lice they get here. She
told me not to worry and just to shower. It was almost a relief (I
would rather have lice in my hair than unidentified gross, big bugs).
So I did the lice shampoo and had Lisa pick out all of the dead
babies. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but it was quite an
adventure and I feel it was a significant part of my week.
    Alright, so those realizations do not really go together. But
there is my report at the end of February. I have been able to post a
lot of pictures on Facebook, which is really nice. I can’t wait for my
Kenya trip with my mom (March 10th!!!) and to continue teaching for
the next month. I know I’ll be home before I know it, so I’m trying to
make the most of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment