Saturday, January 29, 2011

Title: Reflections after 1 month

 So this week I hit my one month mark. Crazy stuff. At first I
thought 1 month sounded SO LONG, but it has really flown by. One of
the volunteers is only here for a month and will leave tomorrow. I’m
definitely glad I am going to be here for longer. I want to be able to
teach the kids more than I have and really put in a lot of time to
this project and home. So, I have decided to write a blog on me, my
reflections and some exciting news after 1 month of being in Ethiopia.
    Ok, first me. I have been doing really well and I feel really good
about this experience so far. It started off difficult, but I am now
into a routine that I feel really good about. I know what I should be
doing and I know how to be the most helpful. Such a relief! At the
same time, I recently talked to my sister Laura and she encouraged me
to push myself. Now is the time where I can try new things and do
things that will be embarrassing/nerve-wracking/maybe not turn out at
all. A few of these things are: speak a full sentence of Amharic to
workers at the feeding center (more than just “how are you”), learn
more Amharic to speak to the cook at the home (she is amazing and I
want to tell her that!), go to the huge market by myself and bargain
for things, etc. The list isn’t finished yet, but I am excited to use
my time to push myself and really get a lot out of this experience.
    A few realizations I have had recently:
       -I graduated! Hahah I realize I did this back in December, but
it is really starting to hit me now. My friends are all back in
classes, taking tests, writing papers, and I’m not. It is also the
first time I haven’t been in school since I was… 3? 4? A long time.
Along with this comes the realization that my friends are all together
again. Although it makes me a bit sad, it leads me to my next
realization:
      -I am exactly where I should be! This is what I should be doing.
I love this program, I believe in the message and I really think I can
help. I signed up for 3 months because I was afraid any less wouldn’t
make a difference. I am starting to realize that my 3 months will make
an impact on these kids, which was my biggest goal of all.
   I think those are my major realizations, but I also have a few
exciting things to share. First, my mom is visiting me in March!!! I
really can’t wait for her to see everything here. We are first going
to do a trip to Kenya (that includes a safari-thing), that will be
really amazing. Then, she will be coming back to Addis with me to see
where I’m living, meet the kids, and maybe even volunteer at the
feeding center. I know she’s excited too and I’m glad that my time
abroad gives her an excuse to visit some new countries.
   The second piece of good news is much closer. We are getting 2 new
volunteers for February! I am super excited to have some fresh faces,
especially since one of the Peters is leaving. They are both girls and
will be arriving tomorrow or Monday (the 30th/31st). Yay! I am in
desperate need of some “girl talk” so I hope I get along with them.
Plus it will be nice to have roommates!
   So there are my thoughts after 1 month of this craziness. I am
constantly validated that I picked the right program to spend 3 months
in and I’m sure I will continue to be challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment